Book Review: A Date with Darcy

Title: A Date with Darcy
Author: Tiffany Schmidt
Publisher: Amulet Paperbacks
Rating: 5
Synopsis (via Goodreads): Boys are so much better in books. At least according to Merrilee Campbell, fifteen, who thinks real-life chivalry is dead and there’d be nothing more romantic than having a guy woo her like the heroes in classic stories. Then she, her best friend, Eliza, and her younger sister, Rory, transfer to Reginald R. Hero Prep—where all the boys look like they've stepped off the pages of a romance novel. Merri can hardly walk across the quad without running into someone who reminds her of Romeo.  When the brooding and complicated Monroe Stratford scales Merri’s trellis in an effort to make her his, she thinks she might be Juliet incarnate. But as she works her way through her literature curriculum under the guidance of an enigmatic teacher, Merri’s tale begins to unfold in ways she couldn’t have imagined. Merri soon realizes that only she is in charge of her story. And it is a truth universally acknowledged that first impressions can be deceiving...

Review: I snagged this book off the library shelf as soon as I read, "Boys are so much better in books."  I absolutely adored Merilee's story.  I couldn't put it down.  I'm a dog person, so the family owned pup boutique and all the doggo talk were bonus points.  Although this story wasn't entirely realistic - maybe it is for a prep school, though; they used very elegant language for high schoolers - it was cute, funny, and unpredictable.  

*Enter my random musings about the characters* My heart leaped into my throat with Monroe's behavior (hello, lovebombing) and I was screaming at Merilee to run far from that boy.  Honestly, I loved all of the characters - except for Monroe, but he's crucial for Merilee's character development as all boys like him are for girls like her.  They were all developed so well and contributed nicely to the story.  Especially Merilee's English teacher, Ms. Gregoire.  I had an English teacher in middle school just like her - she was able to read me so well, knew more about me than I knew about myself, inspired me, and gave me great advice.  She was hands-down one of my favorite characters. The only awkward thing for me was Merilee's relationship with Toby, her best guy friend who lives next door (goals, right?).   

Long story short - I'm obsessed.  I look forward to getting my hands on copies of the other books in the Bookish Boyfriend series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Liebster Award: 2016