Book Review: Perfectly Yourself

 I was really excited about this book as it was lent to me by my best friend; however, I found it really hard to get into - even with it being a "self help" book.  I ate up To Hell with the Hustle, but I had to force myself to read Perfectly Yourself.  I think that the main reason I felt this way was because Kelly repeated the same concept over and over again: "do the next best thing" and "God wants you to be the best-version-of-yourself."  On one hand, this is a positive because I'm not going to forget what I read in this book.  On the other hand, I don't think this book needed to be 210 pages.

I liked how each chapter was broken down into smaller sections (chapter seven, "Unburden Yourself", was my favorite) and I liked the recap at the end of each chapter.  This helped me keep up with what I might've read a few days earlier.

Despite the repetition, there were a few quotes that resonated with me.  As I previously mentioned, a majority of chapter seven I was saying, "Oof," to myself because Kelly was speaking hard truth.  There was also a section in chapter nine that made me sigh because I was being called out... again.  It was the part where he was discussing the difference between reacting and responding.  Take a guess at which I do more of...  But when I read the following quote, it was if it was on a marquee sign with blinking lights to get my attention: 

"Too often we make the mistake of thinking that the question is 'What should I do?'  Sometimes - more often than you would think - the question is 'Should I do anything?'  Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing." (pg. 197)

That's some good stuff.

So, despite the fact that I felt like I was stuck in the Bermuda Triangle during this read, there were some good nuggets of advice.  This is why I chose to give it 3 leaves - it was ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Liebster Award: 2016