Book Review: Rockoholic

Title: Rockoholic
Author: C.J. Skuse
Publisher: Scholastic
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): She's got it bad, and he ain't good -- he's in her garage? "I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me..." Gonna have to face it: Jody's addicted to Jackson Gatlin, frontman of The Regulators, and after her best bud Mac scores tickets, she's front and center at his sold-out concert. But when she gets mashed in the moshpit and bodysurfs backstage, she's got more than a mild concussion to deal with. By the next morning, the strung-out rock star is coming down in her garage. Jody -- oops -- kind of kidnapped him. By accident. With a Curly Wurly candy bar. And now he doesn't want to leave. It's a rock-star abduction worthy of an MTV reality series...but who got punk'd?!

Review: Not only did the synopsis of Rockoholic excite me, but also the fact that it was my first ARC to read and review from Scholastic. Back in 2009, my big music addiction was the Jonas Brothers. Just like Belibers and Directioners, I was a Jonas Brothers major fan. I had all their cd's, watched their tv show, Jonas, with my best friend every Sunday night, and somehow convinced my mom to take to me one of their last concerts before their three year break. In a way, I could relate to Jody in this story being obsessed with a band and wanting to meet the lead singer in hopes of falling in love. Except, I didn't take as drastic measures that Jody did. 

Jody read and believed all the tabloids about The Regulators lead singer, Jackson Gatlin. For her mission of him falling love with her to work properly, she decided to lose weight because Jackson supposedly liked skinny girls. I found this hard to deal with. You shouldn't change who you are to impress someone in hopes of falling in love. There is someone out there who will love you for who you are.

As for Jackson, I often envisioned him as Joe Jonas. I couldn't help it. Last I checked though, Joe didn't and doesn't have a drinking and drug problem that Jackson did have. Even though he acted like a jerk to Jody while in relapse, I couldn't help but feel for him. Jackson had been through so much from being famous that he turned to drugs and alcohol in hopes to escape it all. If it hadn't been for Jody, he realizes he might not have lived much longer.

Mac and Cree were my favorite duo throughout this book. I always love seeing boys care for their younger siblings like Mac did. At first, I couldn't tell if Mac liked being best friends with Jody or cared about her in a different way, but I like how it turns out in the end. 

Overall, Rockoholic is an emotional, comical story of a rockstar who turns his life around for the better. Even though he was kidnapped first. 

Comments

  1. I???????¬?????d like to say that you consistently action accurate admonition and I access been an captivated clear-sighted of your website for in adeptness some time. I basal to say thankyou in adeptness :) for all the able plan you do!
    Yüz Germe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for a well written, easy to understand article on this. It can get really confusing when trying to explain it – but you did a great job. Thank you!
      estetik

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016