Book Review: A Dog's Purpose & A Dog's Journey

Title: A Dog's Purpose
Author: W. Bruce Cameron
Publisher: Forge Books
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here? Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose? Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

Title: A Dog's Journey
Author: W. Bruce Cameron
Publisher: Forge Books
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): Buddy is a good dog. After searching for his purpose through several eventful lives, Buddy is sure that he has found and fulfilled it. Yet as he watches curious baby Clarity get into dangerous mischief, he is certain that this little girl is very much in need of a dog of her own. When Buddy is reborn, he realizes that he has a new destiny. He's overjoyed when he is adopted by Clarity, now a vibrant but troubled teenager. When they are suddenly separated, Buddy despairs—who will take care of his girl? A charming and heartwarming story of hope, love, and unending devotion, A Dog's Journey asks the question: Do we really take care of our pets, or do they take care of us? More than just another endearing dog tale, A Dog's Journey is the moving story of unwavering loyalty and a love that crosses all barriers.

Review: I was hesitant reading this series due to my dog passing away. A Dog's Purpose sat on my shelf, dying to be read, and my mom decided to check it out after hearing a rave review from her friend. She warned me it was going to be sad, so I avoided reading it even longer. She insisted that I read it on numerous occasions and I finally gave in. I'm really glad I did.

A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey go hand in hand. Once I read the last sentence of A Dog's Purpose, I searched the house for A Dog's Journey. I had to continue reading Buddy's story. That, and my mom insisted that I read the sequel right away. Other than that, I couldn't get enough of Cameron's writing.

I love reading books with numerous points of view, but I have never read a book whose story is in a dog's point of view. Being a dog person since I was born, I could really put myself into Buddy's paws. Cameron's writing played a big part in this visualization. If you couldn't tell already, I love being a part of the story. Reading is my main escape from reality. Maybe that's the way most readers are though. 

I did cry. The last few paragraphs in A Dog's Journey hit me like a ton of bricks. I was home alone, reading and just suddenly burst into tears. Then... I. Couldn't. Stop. Crying. I should've been prepared with tissues or something - my mom warned me it was going to be sad, but the ending was also so beautiful. SO BEAUTIFUL. Cameron wrapped up Buddy's story like *mwah* perfectly. 

I quickly fell in love with both A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey. I wouldn't be surprised if other readers did too. 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful review! Thank you and keep reading! -W. Bruce Cameron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016