Book Review: Divergent

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Review: Divergent was another book that I had on my reading list that Kayleigh told me I had to read. I was planning on reading it before The Fault in Our Stars, but she told me that was I wrong and I needed to follow up on a sad novel with an action packed one. (In other words, I had to read The Fault in Our Stars then Divergent.) This brings me to the fact that other readers were saying Divergent was "like The Hunger Games." I happen to disagree. The Hunger Games and Divergent had completely different plot lines - they were no where near "like" the other. Sure, they both had kick-ass heroines who could fight like no other, but they were two completely different books. I see that comparing is necessary when giving book recommendations, such as "if you liked The Hunger Games, then you're sure to enjoy Divergent." Am I the only one who thinks this way? 

Anyways, once I got wrapped up into the book, I couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going to happen next! (Talk about plot twists!) Veronica Roth's writing kept the reader engaged with Tris' story. You know that excited feeling you get when you can't put a book down? I experienced this feeling with Divergent - a feeling that I'm finding hard to come by nowadays. That's probably mostly because all the crazy stunts the Dauntless pull off. (Jumping off a train when it's moving? No way, Jose!) 

Tris was awesome. She was a complete badass who was motivated to prove others wrong. At the beginning, she was the smallest initiate. In the end, she was #1. Characters like Tris are my favorite - they don't back down, and they fight for what they believe in; they are strong, determined leaders throughout their stories - inspiration to actual people. As for Four... readers have a list of fictional boyfriends when it comes to the opposite gender. I blame reading for having such high standards. (=

I didn't like the ending. It was as if Roth was tired of writing and just wanted to get the story over with. Granted there are two other parts to the series, but after hearing what Kayleigh said about them, I don't think I'm going to read them. (If you couldn't tell, I trust her with my life when it comes to book recommendations.) If you've read the Divergent series: what did you think about Insurgent and Allegiant? Let me know in the comments below! (=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016