Book Review: Revived

Title: Revived
Author: Cat Patrick
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): It started with a bus crash. Daisy Appleby was a little girl when it happened, and she barely remembers the accident or being brought back to life. At that moment, though, she became one of the first subjects in a covert government program that tests a drug called Revive. Now fifteen, Daisy has died and been Revived five times. Each death means a new name, a new city, a new identity. The only constant in Daisy's life is constant change. Then Daisy meets Matt and Audrey McKean, charismatic siblings who quickly become her first real friends. But if she's ever to have a normal life, Daisy must escape from an experiment that's much larger--and more sinister--than she ever imagined. From its striking first chapter to its emotionally charged ending, Cat Patrick's Revived is a riveting story about what happens when life and death collide.

Review: OHMYGOODNESS. Revived was probably the hardest book to put down that I've read this summer - it's that good! I just, I don't know, I can't. UGH! Can we just all take a minute to applaud Cat Patrick and her beautiful writing?! 

I bought my own copy of Revived at my favorite bookstore simply because the plot sounded so intriguing. What's better than an undercover program that involves a drug that can bring people back to life? Not only that, but the cover is so mysterious. I'll admit - I tend to judge books by their covers. *sigh* Sorry, not sorry. 

Daisy was a perfectly balanced character. During one chapter, she would be strong and outgoing and the next, she would be second guessing herself. She fit the mold of a typical teenage girl. The only difference with Daisy is that she has died five times. Every time she dies in an accident, she is relocated to a different city with a different last name and her life starts over again. The one thing that keeps her alive is a secret government drug called Revive. She, along with 19 of her peers, have been admitted in the top secret program ever since a school bus accident. Daisy follows her guardians' orders (who are also a part of the program) without question, until she moves to Omaha and meets Matt and Audrey McKean. 

I loved the McKean siblings. On the outside, the dynamic duo looked like they had it all. Matt could've easily been the hottest guy in school while Audrey was Miss Popular, but Daisy quickly finds out it's not like that at all. I loved reading the scenes with Audrey and Daisy. They had such a strong friendship from the get-go that Audrey's fate was a punch to the gut (think Augustus Waters). I only wish she was in the book for a longer amount of time. 

The idea of a drug that could bring people back to life was really compelling. Not once did Cat Patrick's writing bore me or annoy me. I feel like a broken record for saying that Daisy's story was unique and kept me on the edge of my seat, but it's the truth. I couldn't get enough of it and can't think of anything else to say how amazing Revived was/is. Because of that, I will leave those of you who've read Revived with one final thought of mine:

Mason = Jensen Ackles 
(Wouldn't you agree?) (=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016