Book Review: The Living

Title: The Living
Author: Matt de la Pena
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): Shy took the summer job to make some money. In a few months on a luxury cruise liner, he'll rake in the tips and be able to help his mom and sister out with the bills. And how bad can it be? Bikinis, free food, maybe even a girl or two—every cruise has different passengers, after all. But everything changes when the Big One hits. Shy's only weeks out at sea when an earthquake more massive than ever before recorded hits California, and his life is forever changed. The earthquake is only the first disaster. Suddenly it's a fight to survive for those left living.

Review: I have just a few quick updates before I rant about how amazingly awesome The Living was... (= 

1) I have a poor reason for my lack of blogging -- Life got in the way. You have no idea how upset it makes me when I don't have time to read a book, or do anything I like to do in my free time because I don't have any free time. 2) I am back! (For an undetermined amount of time. You know, until Life comes around and kicks me off my feet like usual). 3) Any fellow NaNoWriMo's out there?! This year was my first time participating! #YayMe 4) MERRY CHRISTMAS! That's just around the corner (which is just about as crazy as Wisconsin not having any snow. In fact, it's currently raining. In December. It's whatever). 

Now, for what you've all been waiting for... The Living by Matt de la Pena was such a rollercoaster -- which I'm a huge fan of btw -- that once I got reading, it was hard for me to stop. I'm participating in my school's Battle of the Books once again and this was on the list. After reading it, there's no surprise as to why it made it on the list... IT WAS SO AWESOME. There was action, there was mystery, there was survival -- what more could a reader need?! 

Shy is a teenage boy who works on a cruise ship during the summer to help his family get by. Unfortunately, he was the worker who dealt with a suicidal jumper on the first trip of the season. But wait, there's more! The second trip of the season brings in an earthquake, resulting in a sinking ship, which leads to being abandoned at sea, which leads to an und- have I said too much or just enough to spark your interest? 
Well... Never mind then. Who am I kidding? I could leave you with a "if you don't read this, than you are missing out blah, blah, blah" but instead I'll leave you with this: 
Your loss...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016