Book Review: The Future Of Us

Title: The Future Of Us
Authors: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Publisher: Razorbill
Rating: 4

Synopsis: It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.
By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.

Review: I read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher maybe a few weeks after it first came out and really enjoyed it. So when I heard that he had written another book, I got really excited. My expectations were high, like really high. I wanted The Future Of Us to be as hard to put down as Thirteen Reasons Why was and I guess in a way it was, but during some scenes I wanted to be done reading for the day.

I love reading Young Adult. It's my favorite genre. Is it just me or does there suddenly seem to be some explicit love scene in every book? Just wondering if I'm going insane. I hope not.

That's what disappointed me, I guess. Of course if you change your future, your kids are going to change but do we need to go into detail of how that could happen? I'd rather not. There is such a thing as inferencing thank you very much. Other than that, I enjoyed it. I swear, if Jay Asher doesn't keep writing I will cry. He is one of my new favorite authors. As for Carolyn Mackler, I don't think that I've read any of her other books. I might now though. 

The whole concept of Josh and Emma discovering Facebook before it was invented and getting a glance at their futures is really cool. I mean, who doesn't want to know what their future will be like? Emma was kind of a frustrating character. During almost the whole book, she seemed pretty arrogant. Purposely doing things in the present to change her miserable future just to try to make it better? Really? Either way, it was still a good book. 

If you've read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher or any books by Carolyn Mackler, you should put this book on your to-read list. I doubt you'll be disappointed. And if you are, probably not extremely disappointed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016