Book Review: That Boy

Title: That Boy
Author: Jillian Dodd
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits. There's Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible. Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth. Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me.  And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no. One boy will give me my very first kiss. One boy will teach me to make out. One boy will take me to prom. And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him. They will both be my best friends. But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy.


Review: After reading the first few pages of this book, I wasn't sure if I would like it in the end. Once I start a book, I like to finish it even if I don't like it in the beginning. I'm really happy that I read this book cover to cover.

It's been a while since I read a book in a diary format. At least, that's what I thought Jadyn Reynolds' story was told in. At first, I didn't really like how it was told like a diary, (I never liked reading diary formats,) and all the exclamation points were kinda annoying (then again it was written by Jadyn Reynolds starting in fourth grade). Eventually, it grew on me and so did Jadyn's story. Oh, and those adorable pictures that were in every chapter separated Jillian Dodd's writing apart from every other young adult author, in a good way of course. =)

The speed of all the events surprised me in the beginning but I had to remind myself that since the book was basically Jadyn's diary, all she would write about is the most exciting/most life changing moments- not dwell on the drama that happened at school that day which some young adult books tend to do. In my opinion, that gets kind of annoying and sadly I was expecting that in this book and I was glad to find out I was wrong.

Jadyn's story was anything but normal compared to other teenage girls. I mean, who has two best guy friends that live right next door? After getting wrapped up in her adventures with Danny and Phillip, I couldn't put down this book. I loved reading That Boy even if it wasn't what I expected and I can't wait to read That Wedding. Maybe even some more of Jadyn Reynolds stories ahead. One thing is for sure, Jillian Dodd is an up-and-coming young adult author all thanks to That Boy.

Comments

  1. Hi Alexis, I'm following you. If you'd like to follow back you can find me here at http://www.im-booked.blogspot.co.uk

    The last book I read written in diary form was The Princess Diaries which I liked at the time. I'm not sure what I'd think now because that was about two years ago but I think it was more the writing style that I liked.

    I find it can be fun to know the characters every thought but at the same time the limitations in terms of the time delay in when we learn things after an event can be annoying. (Did that make sense?)

    Thanks for the review, I hadn't heard of this book before now but I'll be sure to consider checking this one out.

    Lettora - (I'm Booked!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016