Book Review: The Goddess Test

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED. NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall. Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess. IF SHE FAILS...

Review: I. Loved. This. Book. I was sorta hesitant about buying it during my last shopping spree when I stopped by Barnes and Noble, but since I had heard good things about it and it was a signed copy, I bought it anyway. I didn't get to this one during the Back to School Read-a-Thon, although it did stay at the top of my to-read pile. Now, I need to go back to Barnes and Noble to get the next enstallment of this series.

The Goddess Test is obviously about Greek mythology, except Aimee oh-so-cleverly changed the names of her characters so they wouldn't be the same as the gods (even if they are the gods, which is confusing and weird at the same time and- oh, just read the book yourself!) Let's just say, I'm glad that at the end of the book there was a Guide of the Gods I could refer back to when I wanted to see which character was what god. It came in handy. A lot.

Romance in young adult books has recently become my weak spot. I get excited when a character I love finds the guy of her dreams (even if deep down I wished that guy was real because then he would be MINE) and I tend to spot that boy pretty fast. I couldn't in this book. My first thought was James. Had to be James. Except, it wasn't. In a way, The Goddess Test is sorta like Beauty and the Beast. Pretty girl gets kidnapped to help save handsome boy. Okay, so Belle had no idea what Beast really looked like, but she fell in love with him and they lived happily ever after anyway. As for Kate, you aren't so sure about the whole 'happily ever after' part. You have to get the next book.

That's just what I'm going to do.

Comments

  1. I've seen some mixed reviews for this but I love Greek mythology in my books, so I was going to give it a try anyway. Your review has convinced me it's definitely worth a shot. Romance is my weak spot as well, now I just have to have it in everything I read. ;) Beautiful review, Alexis! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Liebster Award: 2016